Today will be a tough day and he won't get all the Sawatch done, obviously. I believe and I think it is Homie's plan as well, to be at the Maroon Lake parking at 3 a.m. tomorrow (Friday), as the Elks Traverse is the "lynch pin", as Gerry Roach dubbed it. Starting this at 3 a.m. is paramount, even if he has to return to the Sawatch for clean-up on Saturday. He'll also be doing Castle/Conundrum on Saturday morning, so this isn't getting any easier.
But the Elks is the key and after talking directly with Homie he said he wants people he knows, people that I personally know are beyond solid. So, while many of the great volunteers are surely super solid and experts on the Elks terrain, my marching orders from Homie were clear. So I lined up the Dream Team:
- Stefan Griebel - I've already described this guy. Hands down, the best. Period.
- Ben Hoyt - good friend from work, 5.13 climber, very fit, super solid in the Bells
- Andrew Hamilton - former 14er record holder, holder of the most amazing endurance feat that I know of: self-powered 14er record
So, if Homie can get to the Maroon Bells in good shape, he'll see these three waiting in the parking lot, ready to rock. Ready to do whatever needs to be done. With this trio, there is no way he doesn't get the traverse done, barring injury or weather. As amazing as they are, they have not perfected their Lightning-Screen lotion, as yet.
So, we'll have to see how today goes. I'm not going to get down no matter what happens today. It ain't over, until it's over and you aren't going to get very far in life underestimating Homie...
Andy Wellman is his companion now. En route are William Surles and Wes Thurman. Wes is coming back for a second go, as it was just too much fun to stay away. He's bring Chick-a-Filet sandwiches, two points of Chocolate Chunk ice cream, and a new, larger pair of Hokas for Homie (feet are swelling). It's hard to give out a "Best Supporter" award with all that everyone is doing, but Wes has to be on that list.
Walk on, Homie. Walk...hard!
Thanks for the excellent update, Bill, and kudos on lining up the dream team! Homie doesn't want to sound mean by discouraging company but he doesn't want to have to worry about anyone else out there and he does worry. He asked Wes to stay back from the summit of Antero a couple days ago because he didn't want Wes getting struck by lightning in the storm.
ReplyDeleteThanks for the updates Bill! I've been following here, a bit on 14ers.com and as folks post on Facebook. I totally get why Homie wants people that he knows and that are really strong. The dream team sounds great and I would include Jason Halladay in the group as well! I'm thinking about Homie alot. I am so impressed with his tenacity and strength.
DeleteKeep on, keepin' on Homie!!!
Carol Gerber
I'd also like to mention Jon Kedrowski who volunteered along side of the dream team......Dr. Jon Was waiting for Homie Yesterday on the Summit of Columbia at 7pm and was with him during his final descents of the evening. Here's Kedrowski's Accolades:
ReplyDeleteHas Climbed Over 600 14ers, including over 100 Ascents in the Elk Range
Has Climbed them all in Winter
Has Twice Climbed them all in one summer (2005,2011) 2005 was in only 30 days unsupported and SOLO.
Was the 1st Person to CAMP directly on Every Summit and did it ALL in 2011 from JUNE 23 to Sept 28th
Summited Everest On May 26th 2012 after turning around 800 ft from the summit on may 19th.
Yes Homie was in good hands, Hope to see him out there again next year! Thanks for letting me tag along guys, I had fun! -Jon