From 52nd & Willamette TH, Ridgeline trail, "North Ridge" trail, Spencer Butte; down southwest trail to Spencer Butte TH, east back to the "main trail", north back to the Ridgeline trail, back to 52nd & Willamette TH.
Started at 7:29 pm. Worked pretty hard running up the initial trail. Amazing how "easy" it is to run at this lower elevation. Saw a wide trail turning off to the right after a series of switchbacks. It looked steep, so I didn't think it was the correct trail, but I took it anyway. This trail was just awesomely steep with superb footing, so I was into hiking mode not far up. I eventually had to switch my watch to altimeter mode to see my rate of ascent. Highest I saw was 75 ft/min, and I was probably sustaining something not far below that up this trail. Just super fun!
Topped out, and the summit was somewhat crowded. Got some trail info from a helpful guy I had passed near the top. He pointed me down the steep trail to the Spencer Butte TH and said it should take 8 minutes to get down. I just had to take a split and hammer the descent after hearing that. Made it down in about 4.5 minutes, then worked pretty hard climbing back to the trail that I'd intended to take to the summit. From there, the trail back was just perfect downhill singletrack (well, some uphill) through a tunnel of greenery. Awesome! I was just flying, and the Hokas were super-cush. Fantastic run!
0:00 - 52nd & Willamette TH
19:04 - Spencer Butte summit (taken a bit late as my watch was in altimeter mode, so probably just under 19)
27:21 - started down
31:48 - Spencer Butte TH
39:27 - just past the "main trail" junction, where the sign said 2.04 miles back to my TH
53:31 - 52nd & Willamette TH
HokaMafate
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Awesome run, Homie! 75ft/min!!! Amazing.
ReplyDeleteAny big mountains in your plans for up there? Hood? Rainier?
Thanks, Bill. This is Eugene's version of Sanitas. Except that the routes I went up and down are much steeper than Sanitas' routes.
ReplyDeleteUnfortunately, I woke up Monday with a cold. Did an uninspiring hike that day anyway. Did a couple mountains in a cool area (McKenzie Pass) yesterday but nearly passed out after finishing the second hike. Been taking it easy today. I'm heading up to Hood soon. Climbing it tomorrow with Dan M. That will probably be the only big thing on this trip. Friday I'll head down to Ashland for the race Saturday. After that, nothing planned as of yet.