Thursday, July 16, 2009

Longs - Keyhole

Started at 4:31 am. Took the initial shortcut trail. Hit the main trail, then took the shortcut at the next switchback by the creek. I lost this trail at some point (still dark) but eventually popped out on the long flat section. Decided to skip the shortcut before the next creek crossing since I figured I'd lose it in the dark. I crossed the bridge over the creek, continued through a right switchback and a left switchback. Here I missed the shortcut trail up to Jims Grove in the dark. I could've turned back and found it, but there were other hikers there, so I just continued on the main trail up to the junction with Jims Grove. Here I took the Jims Grove trail until I hit the main trail again. I faced a pretty strong headwind as I popped out of the trees. Turned right on the main trail, through Granite Pass (where I pulled on a long sleeve shirt), and up the switchbacks into the Boulderfield (stayed on the switchbacks). Felt strong running to the privy sign. Up to the Keyhole where the wind was really ripping...until I was just a few seconds past the Keyhole. On the Ledges section, I took a lower, slabby traverse where the trail goes high. This worked nicely. Really no snow to deal with on the Ledges or in the Trough. Still a bit of snow in the upper Homestretch, but I really didn't have to do much to avoid it. My 30th ascent of Longs!

Down the Homestretch and Narrows quickly. Made pretty good time in the Trough with nobody coming up below me. Finally ran into some other hikers as I started back across the Ledges. Took the slabby traverse again when the trail went high. Back to the Keyhole. Running down the talus back to the flats of the Boulderfield, I noticed lots of folks stopping to stare like I was some sort of freak. I really wasn't moving that fast. Hit the Boulderfield and followed the trail out, but I cut over the north shoulder of MLW when there weren't any hikers nearby. Jims Grove trail again. Jims Grove shortcut. Kept my eyes open for all left turns off of this and managed to stay on it until popping out on the long flat section. The key here is that the trail kinda cuts across left more than expected rather than going more steeply downhill. Screwed up the turn off of the long flat section and lost some time in the woods. I think turning off before the Goblin Forest junction was my mistake, as I think I ended up crossing over that trail. Eventually popped back out on the main trail at the switchback by the creek. Took the lower shortcut trail where I took a minor fall while looking for a shorter shortcut. Oops.

Started with flashlight and water bottle in hands. Long sleeve shirt around the waist. Nathan pack with 3 Gus, balaclava, gloves, cell phone, whistle. Occasionally put the hand bottle into the pack.

0:00 - Longs Peak TH
10:52 - junction of the first shortcut trail with the main trail
1:02:01 - junction of the Jims Grove trail with the main trail
1:28:20 - Boulderfield privy sign
1:40:47 - Keyhole
2:02:04 - top of the Trough (start of the Narrows)
2:11:16 - summit
2:15:03 - started down
3:37:20 - Longs Peak TH

StreakOrangeA

No comments:

Post a Comment