Paced Mark O for the final 10 miles of the San Juan Solstice 50. I also walked up the road from Slum about a mile and back down (to "warm up") while waiting for Mark.
We jogged the initial downhill section from the Slum aid station. Then walked all of the climb. Mark wasn't feeling well on the climb (dizzy, very swollen hands, had to pee a lot but had trouble doing so). Thought I could get Mark to jog once we started down at the top of the climb, but he still was feeling miserable. We walked all the way down to the Vickers aid. Continued walking, occasionally jogging, below Vickers, until it really started descending. Here Mark managed to run consistently and did so all the way to the finish. I was very impressed that he kept the run going across town, as I wasn't able to do that when I ran this race in 2005. I think Mark was just under 3 hours for the final 10 miles, maybe 2:55.
Ran into Roger J during the race. Chatted with him at the finish, and he asked if I wanted to pace him at the Wasatch 100. Would be cool to do that. I'll be seeing him at Pikes again.
Also chatted with Jason H and Bill G after the race. Bill asked if I wanted to pace him at Hardrock for 30 miles from Grouse to Telluride if his current pacer isn't able to go due to injury. Heck yeah! I'm really hoping this works out.
StreakOrangeA
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment